Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Tuesday Update 7/4/06

Tuesday Update 07.04.06

(Since I have been so inconsistent in my Journal/Blog I am as of today giving you an update every Tuesday).

I hope that the 4th is treating you well. As for me, I am relaxing in the Dayton area of Ohio with friends as I take a brief break from my current tour. I have played 7 shows in 6 days and so the respite is well received. So far I have hit Louisville, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Indianapolis, and Bloomington (IN), having played Columbus and Dayton twice.

I have met a lot of new people along the way and have had some great conversations. One of the best things about all of this is the way I am getting to know the diversity among people: the various ways people think and act, the ways we are different and the ways we are the same. I get to step outside the circle of friends I have always known and come face to face with ideas and opinions that are very far removed from my own.

I am also learning the limits to my sense of direction. After missing my exit 2 days ago because I was so wrapped up in the song spinning on my iPod, I took the next exit and worked my way to where I was going without losing any time. I must say I was a bit proud of this feat.

However, last night after a show in Dayton, I made the mistake of presuming that I could find the place I was supposed to sleep at because I had been there 2 times before. I was wrong...way wrong. It took me 45 minutes to get where I needed to be (I could have been there in 7 or 8 if I had gotten directions...and no, ladies, I don’t need any comments about guys and directions).

On a random note, someday I need to write a blog specifically about the various gyms that I have been in. I worked out one time in a YMCA in Columbus, GA that used 3-inch lead pipes as a rack for barbells. They were run into the concrete walls in the basement of a building that must have been built around the turn of the century (the 20th century, not the 21st). Talk about a dungeon. All of the weights were rusty and there was the smell of 100 years of sweat. There was also this little 4 foot door down there that I’m sure hid a secret passageway. I felt like I was in some sort of medieval prison...I was going on like 3 hours of sleep, but it was one of the best workouts I can ever remember...barbaric even. (so you know...now I’m laughing at the thought of myself with a sword and one of those Viking helmets with the horns...sick really.)

On the other end of the spectrum is the YMCA I visited in Fishers, IN last Sunday. It was way nice...it had a blitzflikin Subway in it! (I would have preferred a Milo’s, but if you’re not from Alabama that doesn’t mean anything to you. If you are from Nashville, think Fat Moe’s...yeah)

Anyway, I’m headed to West Lafayette, IN tomorrow and eventually to Tulsa, OK this Saturday. I’ll be back in Nashville by 7/11.

I’m depending a lot on friends for promotion and places to sleep, so if you see me coming your way, help me spread the word. Also, I am still looking for a place to sleep in or around Tulsa and then again for Little Rock. Definitely give me a shout if you’ve got a contact in those areas.

So that’s about it for this Tuesday. Thanks to everyone who believes in me and has invested in this journey so far. I hope to be seeing you on the road again soon.


Somewhere north of here,

Beau



By the way, be sure to wear your safety goggles when you are throwing bottle rockets and burning your hand off with sparklers tonight...my mom would have had me wearing a welding visor if she could have...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home